Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Know Your Territory

Bella had a birthday celebration day at school today. I sent M&M cookies with festive napkins for all her friends. They sang Happy Birthday to her and she got to wear the Birthday Crown all day. Her birthday is in June. Can you imagine her confusion?

Confusion or not, she apparently turned into a birthday brat. When I picked her up at school, she was just waking up and asked to color, as the other kids were doing.

Her teacher said no. Em. Okay and why?

Teacher went on to explain how much Bella had misbehaved at naptime. That she refused to lay down and be quiet. The kids don't have to sleep but they do have to lay on their mats. Apparently, Bella was quite belligerent about it.

I took wailing Bella from class and we started to leave when I thought how this wasn't a good way to leave school. We talked a bit and agreed she should apologize.

Bella hugged both of her teachers and apologized for misbehaving. They hugged her back and told her they love her and want her to have happy days.

Not missing a beat, Bella said, "So can I color now?"

Just as quickly, Teacher chirped, "Maybe Thursday!"

Ew. That didn't go over well. We went on our wailing way to the car.

Hey, it is Teacher's territory, not mine. Her tough love is what has helped Bella most during this past year of school. Tough love for me too...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

the games they play!

she is one smart cookie, and i bet she will remember on thursday that she is supposed to get to color!

Katrina said...

Well, a Very Merry Un-Birthday to Bella! I would trade my ability to color whenever I want for an inexhaustible supply of M&M cookies, but maybe that's just me. :)

Jennboree said...

In their minds, they are all perfectly logical and we adults seem to be the ridiculous bunch!

Bella's favorite part of school is the after nap color time with her friends so I'm sure Thursday's nap will go much smoother. It was a good lesson for her.

The Girl Next Door said...

Hell I would change my ability to color for a nap time!!!! Seriously, I am all for someone reinstituting that little gem of a good time! PLEASE! I guess I would not make a good three year old, Joci lately is all about naptime sucks lately... much to my dismay! The other day I managed to sleep for 45 minutes while she jumped on my head... hey I was REALY tired and at least I knew where the little beast was. Not sure if it really helped with my mood, nothing worse then being rudely awakened about 30 times by a piledriver to the head but I think God will forgive me... I hope!