Friday, June 13, 2008

Go Get Your Pappy, Girl!

* WARNING*
This post is not intended for any male readers who may stumble onto this site or may be secret admirers of my fabulous writing skills.


Yesterday was a bit rough. I had 1 cm of my cervix removed for a biopsy. There's nothing quite like seeing part of your baby maker floating in a tiny cup.

Let me back up this story a bit.

About a month ago, I went to my OBGYN because I needed a birth control that would also control my nasty mood swings. (Not sure yet about the mood enhancer aspect as of yet) As is always the case for a wellness exam, I had a Pap smear done. No biggie, right? I've had those since I was a teenager.

The doc called me back in the next week. It was an abnormal Pap. Mmmkay. Still, no biggie.

Right?

Obviously, I know nothing about what a Pap is for or what the results mean. I'd never even given it much thought. Paps are just part of being a woman!

Dr. OBGYN did what is called a colposcopy, which is a procedure that allows the doctor to closely examine abnormal cells on my cervix. It was uncomfortable but not terrible. The nurses were joking and flitting about as they normally do.

Then Dr. OBGYN got more serious. Turns out the abnormal cells (called dysplasia) were high risk for being precancerous.

CANCER?!?

That word immediately jolts a person into paying attention.

To be on the safe, and healthier, side, yesterday a LEEP was performed. The loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) is used when your Pap smear indicates the presence of abnormal cells on the surface of the cervix. This does not mean you have cancer, but treatment of the abnormal area is important to prevent the cells from developing into cervical cancer.

I'm a total ignoramous because I thought, okay, I'll go in to see Dr. OBGYN and he'll electrocute those bad boys and I'll go on my merry way.

Well, let me tell you, there was nothing merry about yesterday. However, I am very glad that I went for a wellness check-up a month ago. Had I not been checked out (the last time I went was nearly 2 years ago) it is very likely that the dysplasia could've turned precancerous or worse.

So I want to encourage every one of you lovely ladies to never miss your yearly wellness checkup. They exist for a real reason after all! Pap smears can help your doctor help YOU.

Three cheers for the Pap smear!

heh.

8 comments:

cori said...

I am soooo glad you're okay. How scary. You never expect to hear news like that. Take it easy and don't forget to give us an update periodically (no pun intended) on how you're doing.

As for the mood swings...got'em. They're no fun for any of us involved. I ended up getting diagnosed with PMDD (how can you be worse than PMS?!?). Thank God they make a birth control pill that manages PMDD. Life is good again. I wish you the best on this journey called 'figuring out the female body and all the crazy emotions that go with it even though we're grown ups'. :)

Katrina said...

I'm glad everything's all right. And thanks for the timely reminder to get that appointment out of the way--I think I'm overdue again! (Funny how it just slips my mind.)

louann said...

Just hearing the word CANCER makes my heart break.

Good thing you got to get that exam on time. I have been delaying my Pap for the past 2 years. I know, I know.

Thanks for reminding. =)

Anonymous said...

Holy guacamole, Jenn! I'm so glad you got in there when you did. Good reminder for all women!

MeesheMama said...

Whew... Glad to hear that isn't the fight you have to take on today.

(Your opening paragraph was.... gah! A piece of your CERVIX?? Floating in a cup??? Ewwww.)

The Girl Next Door said...

ugh! I am glad you had a pap! (seriously, how often can you say that to someone?)I never thought much about them either except to think "crap I need to go spread my legs for 'that man' again! Every year like clock work, there he is sending me a note telling me he wants to see my neither regions, I should call his wife, poor woman has no clue what a perve he is I am sure!"

I had a girlfriend who had something similar a few years back (God now that I say that I think it was ten to be honest) and has not had any problems since. I think it is one of those cancers that if caught early (hence the yearly pap) it is HIGHLY and EASILY treatable... thank God!

I wish you a speady recovery though, I imagine it is not the most pleasant of feelings to have them lazer your cervix, to be honest that might be all the birth control I would need! LOL

tallulah said...

I was crossing my legs as you were describing the details...ouch!
Thank goodness everything is okay! Good for you for keeping on top of your exams.

I go in next week to see if a lump in my breast is cancer. Bites the big one.

Jennboree said...

Oh, Tallulah, I'm so sorry! I knew something was up but wasn't going to go there with my thoughts.

Please let me know how it goes, k?